This is a sweet that is typical from Galicia and cooked during “Entroido” (Carnival).
In Italy they have a similar sweet that they also prepare in this period (Chiacchiere) and same for Switzerland (Fasnachtschüechli)
Orejas de Carnaval
Servings: 6 people
- 500 g flour
- 3 eggs
- 100 g lard or butter/margarine
- 250 ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- peel of 1 lemon optional
- A bit of anise liqueur
- Mix flour and baking powder.
- Add the softened lard or butter, then milk eggs and lemon and/or anise.
- Knead the dough until stretchy and then let it rest for an hour.
- To give the shape to the orejas (it means ears) just get small balls of dough and roll them thin, the overall shape is not important.
- Deep fry until crisp and then sprinkle with sugar on top